November 14, 2013

Style Inspiration: Victorian Era

So, this entry really starts my “Style Inspiration” posts about fashion genres I adore - last “Style Inspiration” post was about hair...

As the title says, this post is about Victorian Era. The Victorian era of British history was the period of Queen Victoria's reign from 20 June 1837 until her death, on 22 January 1901. Victorian women's clothing followed trends that emphasised elaborate dresses. The ideal silhouette of the time was a narrow waist, which was accomplished by using a corset. Even the silhouette was striking and the dresses themselves were detailed creations, the fashions itself were cumbersome for the women - they restricted women's movements and at worst, they had a harmful effect on their health. Wide volume to skirts were created by the use of layered material such as crinolines, hoop skirt frames and heavy fabrics.

What really fascinates especially on that era was the corsets and women’s tiny waists as well as the heavily layered skirts. I wish I could dress more like in the Victorian era (but then again, what stops me?) but I find it hard to find such kind of clothes. Yes, I have a closet full of corsets but it lacks of long dresses and skirts. I haven’t been using corsets regularly for a long time, only every now and then and I need to start using them again for I didn’t bought them in my closet just to stay unused. They are also very good for my posture.

Here are pictures of the Victorian Era fashion:















I hope these inspires you as much as me. The next “Style Inspiration” posts will be about “Steampunk”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flag Counter